A pair of former Colorado prep standouts are set to take the mound on opening day.
Giants right-hander Kevin Gausman and Mariners lefty Marco Gonzales were named their teams’ respective starting pitchers for Thursday’s regular-season openers.
Gausman, 30, pitched for Grandview High School in Aurora, while Gonzales, 29, starred for Rocky Mountain High School in Fort Collins where he was the winning pitcher in each of the four 5A championship teams he played for.
Gausman was San Francisco’s best starter in 2020, compiling a 3-3 record with a 3.62 ERA and 79 strikeouts in 59 2/3 innings of work. He’s played for four different teams over eight years in the league and has a 50-66 record with a 4.26 ERA during that span.
Gonzales will be making his third consecutive opening day start for Seattle. He finished last year with a 7-2 mark, a 3.10 ERA and 64 strikeouts over 69 2/3 innings. He has led the Mariners in wins in each of his last three seasons.
Here’s a look at the rest of the opening day starting pitchers in the majors:
- Atlanta Braves: Max Fried
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Madison Bumgarner
- Baltimore Orioles: John Means
- Boston Red Sox: Nathan Eovaldi
- Chicago Cubs: Kyle Hendricks
- Chicago White Sox: Lucas Giolito
- Cincinnati Reds: Luis Castillo
- Cleveland Indians: Shane Bieber
- Colorado Rockies: German Marquez
- Detroit Tigers: Matthew Boyd
- Houston Astros: Zack Greinke
- Kansas City Royals: Brad Keller
- Los Angeles Angels: Dylan Bundy
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Clayton Kershaw
- Miami Marlins: Sandy Alcantara
- Milwaukee Brewers: Brandon Woodruff
- Minnesota Twins: Kenta Maeda
- New York Mets: Jacob deGrom
- New York Yankees: Gerrit Cole
- Oakland A’s: Chris Bassitt
- Philadelphia Phillies: Aaron Nola
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Mitch Keller
- San Diego Padres: Yu Darvish
- San Francisco Giants: Kevin Gausman
- Seattle Mariners: Marco Gonzales
- St. Louis Cardinals: Jack Flaherty
- Tampa Bay Rays: Tyler Glasnow
- Texas Rangers: Kyle Gibson
- Toronto Blue Jays: Hyun Jin Ryu
- Washington Nationals: Max Scherzer