A Black man who was wanted in a homicide fatally shot himself as the police closed in on a downtown Minneapolis street on Wednesday afternoon, prompting a fresh round of protests and looting, the authorities said, three months after the killing of George Floyd in the city set off global demonstrations against police violence.
Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota said the State Patrol was headed to the city to help restore order, and Mayor Jacob Frey of Minneapolis said he had ordered an immediate curfew and had requested additional help from the National Guard.
“What our city needs right now is healing,” Mr. Frey said at a news conference with the city police chief, Medaria Arradondo, on Wednesday night. “We do not need more destruction. We do not need property damage that is unacceptable in every way, shape and form, and I want to be very clear: It will not be tolerated.”
The police on Wednesday released video of the man shooting himself, saying it was important to quell rumors that he had been killed by the police.
“People need to know the facts,” Mr. Arradondo said, as he echoed the mayor’s demand that people leave the downtown.
“We have teams assembled,” he said. “We will clear out our downtown. And for those who choose to cause destruction or cause violence, you will be arrested.”